Friday, March 23, 2012

Relationship Advice: Acacia Trees and Ants

Acacia and Ants, Santa Rosa, Costa Rica
http://www.marietta.edu/~biol/biomes/tropdry.htm 



Introduction:

If one is to seek relationship advice from nature, the acacia tree and acacia ants are the ones to consult! Not only do they live in very close proximity – one literally lives within the other – but both partners also depend heavily on each other for fitness. Many species of acacia tress that are deficient in chemical defenses have developed a mutualistic relationship with stinging ants in which protection is exchanged for nutrients and a home [1]. Acacia trees and their symbiotic partner can be found all over the world in temperate, desert, and tropical regions, especially since some species of acacia trees are highly invasive [2]. They reach sexual maturity typically three years after germination, and the adult trees can be used for industrial or decorative purposes [3]. During development, the acacia trees form symbiotic relationships with ants to promote healthy growth for both the ant and the tree. Not only are the trees vigorously protected, but they also provide ants and their larvae a ready home and available nutrients.     


Description of the Relationship:

Some species of acacia trees, like the Acacia macrantha of Central American, produce bitter alkaloids to ward off predators [1]. However, for those acacia species that are deficient in chemical defenses, acacia ants act as aggressive protectors. For example, Acacia cornigera (commonly known as the bullhorn acacia) found in Mexico and Central America house Pseudomyrmex ferruginea in swollen, hollow thorns [1]. The ants, with their powerful stingers, protect the trees against destructive insects, feeding herbivores, and competing vines and vegetation that pose a threat to overcrowding and sunlight availability. In return, the tree provides shelter and nutrition [4]. Ants live within the swollen, hollow thorns of the tree, and the tree produces nutrients: protein-lipid Beltian bodies from its leaflet tips and carbohydrate-rich nectar from glands on its leaf stalk [1].

http://earthlysolutions.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/biological-communities-and-species-interactions/
A hollow, swollen thorn: home for the ant larvae.

http://www.alexanderwild.com/Ants/Taxonomic-List-of-Ant-Genera/Pseudomyrmex/8709998_bQRJk8/575648985_FG4cj#!i=575648985&k=FG4cj
A Beltian Body. 
The acacia trees that produce alkaloids grow slower than the ant-protected acacia trees because of the allocation of resources and energy. Additionally, they must grow in drier habitats where the competing vegetation grows slower since they do not have the ant gardeners [1]. Therefore, evolutionarily, this mutualistic association developed as a means to increase the fitness of both partners. Ant-plant mutualism is not rare with at least 100 other species of plants and ants exhibiting this relationship [5]. Not only can the acacia trees grow faster without any threat from insects, herbivores, and other plants, but the ants can also develop with a plentiful source of nutrition and shelter.

The mutualistic relationship is established when a newly mated queen is attracted to a tree by its odor and starts nesting inside the large, hollow acacia thorns. She lays 15-20 eggs to produce the first generation of workers. As the colony grows, more thorns become inhabited, and when the colony reaches around 400 individuals, the ants start to protect the plant [5]. The mutualistic relationship develops at this time, when both the tree and the ants benefit from the other. The association between these two partners perfectly describes mutualism because, as Claude Combes describes in our text, this bond develops “with reciprocal benefits” (11) [6].

Cost/Benefit Analysis:

In this mutualistic association, the benefits obviously outweigh the costs. The benefits to the trees include protection from feeding insects and herbivores and from competing vegetation. Costs include energy and resources used to make the nutritious Beltian bodies for the ants. They have no known function other than to provide food for the ants [1]. Acacia drepanolobium (commonly known as the whistling thorn acacia) in South Africa is called home by Crematogaster mimosa, but the tree does not provide Beltian bodies, so the ants have to forage for food elsewhere. Therefore, the ants allow insects to feed on the tree and do not provide aggression protection [1]. However, because the benefits of mutualism provide an increase to fitness, some acacia trees have developed a means to maintain the mutualistic relationship. Most plant species contain sucrose in their nectar and sap, but acacia trees provide their ants with nectar containing digested sucrose (glucose and fructose). Therefore, through evolution, some acacia ants have lost the gene encoding for the enzyme required to digest sucrose, invertase [4]. This means that these ants are bound to the tree since the only food source they can utilize is the acacia tree nectar.

Similar to the costs for the tree, the cost for the ant includes energy usage in providing protection and defense for the tree. The benefits, however, include shelter and a readily available source of nutrition. The ants require less energy in finding a suitable home for their larvae to develop, and they are not required to forage extensively for food. Therefore, the energy used in protecting the tree is compensated for by the energy saved in other tasks, so the benefits outweigh the costs. The same logic applies for the acacia tree. Less energy is devoted to producing chemical defenses, so more energy can be applied to producing food for the ants. Therefore, this mutualistic relationship works amazingly well!


References:

[1] Wolffia. "Central American Swollen-Thorn Acacias."Wayne's Word. Web. 22 Mar 2012. <http://waynesword.palomar.edu/acacia.htm>.

[2] Brennan, John. "Relationship Between Acacia and Ants." eHow. eHow, Web. 22 Mar 2012. <http://www.ehow.com/facts_6977979_relationship-between-acacia-ants.html>.

[3] Richards, Bailey. "Acacia Development." eHow. eHow, 11 Apr 2011. Web. 22 Mar 2012. <http://www.ehow.com/facts_7986996_acacia-development.html>.

[4] Cheshire. "Cheshire: Insects, Evolution, and Random Splatters from the Windshield of the Blogosphere." 26 Feb. 2009. Web. 22 Mar. 2012. <http://tachinid.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/perhaps-i-should-start-asking-acacia-trees-for-relationship-advice/>.

[5] Piper, Ross. Extraordinary Animals: An Encyclopedia of Curious and Unusual Animals. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2007. 1-3. Print.

[6] Combes, Claude. Parasitism: The Ecology and Evolution of Intimate Interactions; Translated by Isaure De Buron and Vincent A. Connors; with a New Foreword by Daniel Simberloff. Chicago: University of Chicago, 2001. Print. 






6 comments:

  1. I want to thank God for using Dr Okougbo Alaba as my source of savior after 2 year of joblessness and my lover left me alone for 2 years,Have just been heart broken until i go in contact with Dr Okougbo Alaba after i saw a lady testimony on how she was helped by this same dr Okougbo Alaba, So i decided to get in contact with him and when i told him all my problem he laughed and said this is not a problem that everything will be ok in 3days time. Exactly the 3rd day my ex lover called me i was shocked and what surprise me the most was that a company i applied for over 4month called me and said i should resume work as soon as possible.Am so grateful to Dr Okougbo Alaba if you wish in contacting him realhomeofspell@outlook.com He do cast the spell as following
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) you need a divorce in your relationship
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women & men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband & wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) Herbal care
    Contact him today on: realhomeofspell@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am Tanya Albert,my fiance and I kept on getting into fights all of the time. We were close to breaking up a few times. I knew that we needed something to stay together because he was pulling away from me day by day. Dr Ekpiku really helped us stay together and become a closer couple. He did a love binding spell that worked perfectly! He started making more of an effort to talk to me about how he was feeling which helped us work through our problems so much better. My fiance tends to shut down whenever there is conflict and this spell helped him communicate with me. I can also tell that he is more attracted to me because he keeps sending me flowers at work and is always trying to touch me in some way. It's actually really nice and I am very grateful to Dr Ekpiku and his temple at Ekpikuspelltemple@live.com for all that he have done for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Sharon Doroes, I have to give this miraculous testimony, which is so unbelievable until now. I had a problem with my Ex husband 2 years ago, which lead to our break up. I was not myself again, i felt so empty inside me, my love and financial situation became worst, until a close friend of mine told me about a spell caster who helped her in the same problem, his site http://magical-rituals.com . I sent email the spell caster and i told him my problem and i did what he asked of me, to cut the long story short. Before i knew what was happen, less than two weeks my husband gave me a call and told me that he was coming back to me i was so happy to have him back to me. The most interesting part of the story is that am pregnant. Thanks to Doctor Samael for saving my marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future... The Psystrology Method download

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am Joyce Benson, my husband is back after separation. thanks to Dr Happy for bringing back my wife,and brought great joy to my family once again. My husband and I separated 9 months ago and our children, Emily and Robert, live with her in London, but see me every weekend i needed my husband and children back home, I was totally devastated and confused and did not know how to bring them back home because i have tried all my possible best all to no avail, until an old friend of mine told me about a spell caster on the internet called Dr Happy who help people with their relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contacted him i told him everything and he told me that everything will be fine that my family are going to come back to me, all he said i will do is for me to provide the money for him to buy the items and i did and he told me that he is going to cast the spell, he helped me cast a spell and within 48 hours my husband came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with women and he is with me for good and for real. you can Contact him on { howtogetyourexback@hotmail.com} he is genuine. If you have any problem contact Dr Happy he is real and always ready to solve your problem , E-mail: howtogetyourexback@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This passage about Ants and Acacia trees helped me alot. Thank You

    ReplyDelete